Easter is right around the corner and if you are like me, you have already started menu planning. If you are hosting an Easter brunch, Pretty in Pink Deviled Eggs are a perfect addition to the spread that you are planning.
I saw a variation of this idea on Pinterest and thought, what a fantastic idea! I am not sure how the other recipe coloured the eggs, but as soon as I saw the picture I thought that beet pickle juice would be perfect. It is a natural alternative to using artificial food colouring.
- 8 eggs
- 2 to 3 cups water
- ¼ cup beet pickle juice*
- 8 hard boiled egg yolks
- 1½ tablespoons miracle whip
- 1 tablespoon relish (try Penny's Zucchini Relish)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place eggs into pot in a single layer; do not stack or they won't cook evenly.
- Cover eggs with cold water by at least one inch and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring water to a gentle boil over medium high heat for twelve minutes.
- Drain the water from the pot and cover the eggs with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Allow the eggs to cool for approximately 15 minutes and carefully peel the shells off of the eggs.
- Cut the egg in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the yolk centre into a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pour the beet juice into a small bowl and dip the egg white portion into the beet juice for 15 seconds.
- Remove the egg white from the beet juice and place it upside down on a paper towel ring for 10 minutes to dry.
- Add the miracle whip, relish, paprika, pepper and salt to the egg yolks and mash together until smooth.
- Scoop the yolk mixture into a ziplock bag with ¼ inch of one corner of the bag cut off. The easiest way to fill the ziplock bag is to put the bag in a glass, fold the edges of the bag down over the glass and then scoop the mixture into the glass.
- Pipe a small amount of the egg yolk mixture into the yolk hole of the pink egg.
- Place the filed eggs onto a serving platter, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
To make Pretty in Pink Deviled Eggs gluten free, please ensure that you are using gluten free miracle whip.