I have made The Best Pasta Salad with Crab a couple times in the last few weeks when we have had company for dinner and each time it was a big hit! The fresh dill and the lemon zest make the salad taste like summer. It is great with BBQ burgers, chicken or pork chops.
We eat quite a lot of brown rice pasta, however I do not like to use brown rice pasta for pasta salads because I find it to be a little soft and mushy, even when cooked properly. Gluten-free corn and brown rice pasta is great for pasta salad though! It is not mushy at all, has great texture and flavour and it retains its shape. You would actually think you were eating regular pasta.
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 3 cups gluten-free corn and rice penne pasta
- 1 12 ounce can of corn
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and small-diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 120 gram cans of crab meat
- ½ cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup minced fresh dill
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tsp of salt and a dash of olive oil. Add the pasta and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente (see note below).
- Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water. Pour the pasta into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the corn, scallions, diced pepper, tomatoes and crab, tossing gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth.
- Pour over the pasta and mix well to bind the ingredients. Stir in the dill.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 6 hours to allow the flavors to develop. Check the seasonings and serve chilled.
See my recipe Bar Raising Tuna Noodle Casserole for a tip on how to cook pasta al dente.