I just love the flavour of lemon! It is tart and fresh and adds an extra element to the flavors in lots of dishes, from cakes to quick breads to fruit salads to paella to apple crisp to steamed vegetables to grilled steak, a drizzle of lemon juice or a teaspoon of lemon zest will certainly kick it up a notch.
The addition of coconut milk to my tried and true lemon loaf was a result of being out of milk one day. That said, I will never use milk again. The coconut milk adds just an extra hint of flavour and keeps the Coconut Lemon Loaf so moist.
If you do not have any coconut milk on hand and are itching to make a lemon loaf, please feel free to substitute milk for the coconut milk. Lemon loaf without the coconut is better than no lemon loaf at all…
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- zest from one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Blend in milk.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Stir until just moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the loaf is baking, combine the lemon juice and sugar in a small, microwavable bowl and heat in 30 second increments until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the loaf is baked, remove it from the oven and glaze it immediately while still in the loaf pan.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing from the loaf pan and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.