My grandma gave me this Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe years ago with the description of the cookies were very good. I would venture to say that these Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are “the best”. Well, unless you like chocolate and in that case, Mini-Egg Cookies are the best!
The key to these oatmeal raisin cookies is soaking the raisins in the egg and vanilla mixture. It makes the raisins puff up and oh-so moist. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed and it will be worth the wait of letting the raisins soak!
Make the cookies on their own or if you have some ice cream on hand make ice cream sandwiches with the cookies. Instant Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups oatmeal (substitute ½ cup wheat germ for more healthful cookies)
- any flavour of ice cream (optional)
- Combine eggs, raisins and vanilla in a small bowl and let stand in the refrigerator for one hour, covered in plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- An hour later, in a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Add flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda to sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Blend in the egg and raisin mixture, oatmeal and wheat germ. The dough will be stiff.
- Roll into small balls and flatten slightly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Using a spatula, remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and let cool on parchment or wax paper.
- Once the cookies have cooled, sandwich a scoop of ice cream between two cookies (optional).