I knocked a big item off my bucket list on this trip when we visited mountain gorillas at Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda. This had been a dream of mine since watching the movie Gorillas in Mist, circa 1989. The hour that we spent with the family of 17 mountain gorillas was everything that I had dreamed of and more.
As much as we enjoyed the mountain gorilla experience it was nice to get back into the kitchen and whip up some Plum Date Balsamic Spread. This sugar free spread is inspired by a Cherry Date Balsamic Spread that I made last year. I was too late this year to buy cherries so I thought that italian prune plums would be a great substitution.
- 8 cups italian prune plums, pitted and halved
- 8 cups majool dates, pitted and halved
- 4 cups balsamic vinegar
- Put the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for three hours.
- With an immersion blender, break down the plums and dates.
- Continue simmering for approximately one hour more until the spread is the consistency of peanut butter.
- Put the hot spread in clean, sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath canner for five minutes.
Please refer to my Step by Step Canning Guide for more information on proper canning techniques.